Probably one of the most popular transmission exchanges that are being performed on ’60s and ’70s Ford cars and trucks involves using the Ford AOD or automatic overdrive. The AOD was used originally on ’80s and early-’90s Ford, Lincoln and Mercury products and in the F-series pickups and E-series vans as well. The AOD can be a relatively easy transmission to transplant and the additional 4th-gear overdrive can give you added fuel savings, especially in cars and trucks using taller rear axle ratios.
- PART#FORD AOD TRANSMISSION STAGE 1
- 116-1100Includes: Performance Overhaul with Borg Warner Frictions & Bands, “A” or “B” Overdrive Apply Servo, 6 Clutch 3-4 Direct Drum, New Bushings, New Bearings, New Intermediate Clutch with Spiral Lock Ring, MP Calibrated VB & Pump (Increases Clutch Holding Power Capacity, Cooler Flow, and Shift Firmness), New Low Roller Clutch, New Bonded Reverse Servo and 2-4 Accumulator Pistons, and Standard Depth Chrome Pan. Rated @ 400 HP/TQ
- PART#FORD AOD TRANSMISSION STAGE 2
- 116-1200Includes: All upgrades of Stage 1 plus Billet Direct Drive Shaft and Billet “A+” Overdrive Servo. Rated @ 450 HP/TQ
- PART#FORD AOD TRANSMISSION STAGE 3
- 116-1300Includes: All upgrades of 1&2 plus Steel Forward & Reverse Drums, 7 Clutch 3-4 Steel Direct Drum, Mechanical Diode Intermediate Sprag, and Wide Carbon Overdrive Band. Rated @ 500 HP/TQ (N2O Kits OK).
- PART#FORD AOD TRANSMISSION STAGE 4
- 116-1400Includes: All upgrades listed above plus 1 Piece 300M Input Shaft (Eliminates Lock-Up), 3rd Gear Cutback Delete, and 1-D-1 Shuffle Override (Holds Selected Gear to any RPM). Rated @ 600 HP/TQ
- PART#OPTIONAL PARTS
- 116-7000AOD Deep Aluminum Pan
116-8000Trans Brake Valve Body
116-8001Constant Pressure 4th Gear Lockout Valve Body
116-90102.84 1st Gear Ratio Set